Stevenson-Washington-library-about-mountains-cityThe  Stevenson Community Library is part of the Fort Vancouver Regional Library District.

The local library in Stevenson was founded in 1921 by the Stevenson’s Women’s Club. In 1938 a library building was constructed at 25 SW Russell Street, where Farmers Insurance is now located.

Bookmobile service began in Skamania County in 1942, supported by a WPA demonstration grant, Skamania County and the City of Stevenson. In 1952, Skamania and Clark Counties formed the Fort Vancouver Regional Library District. The City of Stevenson contracted with FVRL for library services in 1953, until later voting to annex to the Fort Vancouver Regional Library District in 1994.

The current library building at 120 NW Vancouver Avenue opened in 1967. The building is owned by the Fort Vancouver Regional Library District and the main level is 7980 square feet. The lower level houses the bookmobile and is also the location of the Gallery, a large daylight basement room where art exhibits are mounted. The Gallery is also used for many of the library’s programs, and is available for the public to use. The library was refreshed in 2017, adding space for 4,000 more items and ADA accessible bathrooms on both levels.

Visit the Stevenson Community Library website www.fvrl.org/loc/st for current library hours, events, and contact information.

2016 Statistics:

Circulation — 46, 143
Visits to library — 54, 721
Programs offered — 258
Program attendance — 4,546
Reference questions answered — 1651

The Fort Vancouver Regional Library Foundation (www.fvrlfoundation.org) is a nonprofit, charitable organization that was created to fund the continued development and enhancement of quality library services in the Library District. Questions? Contact Foundation Director Rick Smithrud at 360.906.4700